Thursday, 19 November 2009

A chip off the old block?

Not really a chip off the old block, she generally seems like a Mini Auntie Geni than a Mini Me. She definitely has a love of craft and practical work that I don't share.

Started with guitar - she enjoyed a good practice with M, then she had a light Italian lesson before Stitch and Sew, so light Deb felt she couldn't charge me for it. I continued trying to be brave enough to get people to sign the petition I'm touting around for a couple of weeks. Managed to get two schooled children's parents to sign with only a brief discussion about the whys and wherefores, personal freedoms and restriction of liberties. I find this hard as I get too emotional and also don't really want to have an argument about it with people whose views have been largely informed by the media (so should that be misinformed?).

One parent even told me Ofsted are right to require parents to be CRB checked before they are licensed to Home Educate. I questioned this asking should I have a check to spend the daylight hours with my own child? The response was that it wasn't for your own children, but because I leave her in the care of her friends' parents, and those parents should be CRB checked. I have left my child in her care to play with her child. Should I have CRB checked her? I don't want to have these ridiculous discussions, I just want to be able to get on with my life educating my daughter as my daughter wishes.

Then managed to escape the suffocating atmosphere of my own home town and visit Grit for lunch :-), after which we set the children loose in a health and safety executive's nightmare situation of a woodworking studio. Was ace :-).



3 comments:

Grit said...

when we got home i remembered about the gu! i'm so sorry. it was meant for sharing!

and i have terrible indigestion.

alison said...

Oh gosh, that looks like GG's garage :) He's very H&S conscious though; always makes the children wear shoes in there ;-)

Twinkly Clare said...

I am appalled at the lack of goggles, hard hats and gloves. In fact, surely a reponsible adult with all the necessary qualifications and checks should be doing the work with the children watching at a distance of 50m behind bullet-proof glass? ;)