

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
By Dr. John McCrae


'When You Go Home,
Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow,
We gave Our Today'.
John Maxwell Edmonds [1875 - 1958]
Woodlands Junior School resource pages:
Why a Poppy?
Remembrance Day
2 comments:
haven't got very far with explaining it all to Small, think it's just too distant for him.
C looks like she did really well.
One of our local HomeEd girls carried the flag for her Sett as well! Go HE girls!
Last year I wouldn't let my two join in--as they hadn't twigged that war meant people would kill each other. The whole idea of hitting someone had never occured to them, never mind killing someone. Needless to say-it's been a year of talks on the horrors of war. But--I'm glad we waited for H to join in until she really knew what it was about. I like it to have a meaning.
I'm against war, I'm against churches, and I'm against people not honouring the memories of those that fought for our freedoms. Glad to see so many people there this year.
Post a Comment