
Then I went home to pack and load the car for our week at Centerparcs with those from Making it Up, Petits Haricots, In at the Deep End and Going Against the Flow.
Collected C from art and after a corned beef hash lunch we went to guitar (not a good lesson overall - he was too incensed about his neighbours). Left guitar to drive directly to CP, listening to our new "Famous People in History" CD. It is very good but the Mozart story has some language I wasn't happy about her hearing.
No trouble getting to Centerparcs. But when there realised it is a very popular place! Even in term time in January. The pictures on the advertisements depict happy smiling families cycling 4 abreast on deserted roads. Hmm. Taking the car round (through construction site and much mud) to the cell block Clo and I were sharing with Jax and Tim showed me that the site was not attractive. The accommodation consists of concrete rectangular blocks set slightly back from he road amongst the trees. I couldn't work out why I found it so depressing until Tim pointed out the "villas" are rather reminiscent of public lavatory blocks. The effect carries into the interior with textured sludge yellow walls (that I thought was puce coloured but was corrected as puce is a purplish brown "flea" colour (as puce is french for flea) - I learnt something there!).
Rather fortunately, I had arrived just as Jax was departing to take her kids swimming. Small thought my arrival meant his swimming was cancelled so he was NOT happy to see us. Instead, Clo went with them swimming leaving me to unpack and settle in. Tim was out acquiring provisions.
Our block was worn and not clean. There were cobweb strands hanging from light fittings and the curtain track was filthy and also cobwebby. Mould growth in corners and pubic hairs on the bath edge were repulsive. The kitchen sink tap was disgusting and I had to wash all the cutlery as they were greasy as they hadn't been washed adequately before (I'm questioning the use of any detergent at all). I was NOT happy.

There also was not much point in complaining as the level of cleaning that would be required would be beyond doing with all our stuff scattered around.
I grumbled at anyone I could find (not sure if Helen escaped as she had been loitering without a purpose), unpacked and made the beds (discovering the duvet covers are very holey and also scorch marks on one of the base sheets which didn't look nice), took the car back, found Bob so decided to walk back to the cell with him and grumble some more. Marcus rang so he got a grumble. And then I think I got it out of my system. Largely.
I do concede that it was a good week - but only because of the friends we were with. Clo spent a wonderful hour playing with Jade, had a good long cycle ride with Chris and SB, went aerial adventuring (which included a zipline!) with Chris and SB,




followed by us watching Jo also do energetic aerial stuff (was too cold for me!), Jax took her swimming twice as I decided once a day in the pool was enough (I did question whether I needed to go in at all on the last day). Clo's eyes went very red so she was reacting to the water. Goggles helped.
Jax and I enjoyed a superbly relaxing evening at the Aqua Sana Spa. Highly recommended. No treatments, we just moved from sauna to steam room to shower to sauna to steam room to hydro pool to water bed to . . . you get the idea.
There was a sunglasses outlet there. I thought I would take the opportunity to buy C another pair of sunglasses for this summer as I usually buy without her and she doesn't wear them as they are uncomfortable. She found a pair she liked. As did I until she looked at the price tag. £72!!!!!! For a pair of children's sunglasses!

I played Blokus a few times. I do love that game. This is Jax's winning board. She was very happy.

On the plus side, there are 3 Starbucks outlets on site, two of which serve food and have an inside seating area. We lunched at them both once.

Plus I was admirably fed and watered all week, including a bespoke bacon and egg breakfast :-).
Not wearing any mascara all week was strange as I'd opted not to as waterproof mascara and contact lenses aren't really an ideal solution when immersed in pool water and removing it is a faff. Next time I'd dye my eyelashes. See. I'm acknowledging the possibility of a next time ;-).
Managed to arrange for Em and girls to make a day trip visit. Really enjoyed seeing them. Reinforced the prison camp feeling with the interrogations at the gate to get them in though. Even with me having prebooked and prepaid entrance.
Discovered our accommodation was only to see another week's usage before being closed down for refurbishment. Just typical.
Doesn't excuse the lack of cleanliness mind you.
Chloe absolutely loved her stay there (not including the two evenings where she stayed in our room on her own as there were too many children and they were being too loud). She adores being outside and being active. It also made it far more enjoyable that she had a ready made set of friends there. I suspect if she'd had to make friends with some of the other children, she would not have had quite as good a time.
My highlights? Time with friends, seeing Chloe so happy and hearing Jade speak.
And to summarise on the other guests?
I think this car sticker says it all:
4 comments:
Don't hold back, Michelle, tell it like it is!
giggle. Am slightly concerned as to what your opinion of our house was now though. And have to say that I didn't notice the lack of mascara, but given I never wear it, it's not something that occurs to me to look for.
The spa was very good wasn't it?
I always wear mascara so not wearing it was a big deal for me.
Spa was indeed excellent.
Pondering how to answer the other point given what came up when Tim cleaned that rug ;-).
'Twas lovely to see you and I only wish I'd invited Clo (and others, one-by-one) sooner so they could have spent more time playing. I enjoyed it, though might think about opting for higher grade accommodation if poss.
BTW we have empty days on Fridays if we can make a date.....
BKing you Jo.
Post a Comment